Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: Super 8 to 35mm Blowup

  1. #1
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Which companies blow super 8 up to 35mm? I tried www.interformat.com but their site's down. And how would you go about doing the sound?

    Corey

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    As far as I know, they're the only ones that do this.
    I called them about it a couple years ago.
    Give them a ring, they'll give you all the info about sound, etc.
    Pretty pricey! I honestly think it's insane to shoot Super 8, if you're planning on 35mm theatrical screening.

    Matt Pacini

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Levi's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 25th, 2001
    Posts
    183
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Its only for a 10 minute short. I think it would be insane to buy or rent a 35mm camera, learn how to use it, spend a fortune on film, then on processing. And I still have to edit. I don't know anything about 35mm and don't really want to get into it now so that's why i want the blowup. Plus with this movie I'm going for a distinctive look which I think S8 K40 can give me when blown up to 35.

    Corey

  4. #4
    Inactive Member avortex's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    26
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    look for www.andecfilm.de

    They make blow-ups to 16 or 35 mm. at good prices, and many other services too.

    Good Luck,

    Marc

  5. #5
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    WHY NOT CONSIDER DOING YOUR PROJECT IN 35 MM?

    You could buy a used Arri 2-b or 2-c for 5000. to 8,000 and end up re selling it for about the same price.

    Re-cans of 35mm film or short end would cost you about .15 cents a foot x 3000 (3-1) =$450 you'll pay about the same amount for developing your neg. (total $900.00)

    Then have a telecine transfer (same price as Super 8) had a window burn with a compatible numbering with your negs edge numbers. (contact Du Art NYC.) And find someone who will conform your negative....

  6. #6
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Bossjock is right! Go for it! At least try
    16mm. If you are worried about learning the
    gear bring on board some help. If you are the
    director of this then you should consider having
    a DP, if you are the DP then find an experienced
    camera operator/assistant. See if you can rent
    the gear or better yet borrow. 16mm was very
    widespread for before beta video cameras took
    over the news/documentary formats.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Matt Pacini's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 27th, 2001
    Posts
    567
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    bossjock-dp, a ten minute short, doesn't mean shooting 10 minutes of stock!
    It would cost significantly more than your prices listed above, I think.

    But having said that, if you KNOW you're going to need a 35mm print for screening, DO NOT shoot on Super 8.
    At least shoot on 16mm.
    The blowup will actually be cheaper.

    Matt Pacini

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Nigel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2000
    Posts
    1,668
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You could try www.cineric.com

    They do blow ups. I agree if you are planning on blowing up you most likely have the money to start with a larger format. I have done a bit of shopping for S8 blow ups and they end up being more than just shooting S16 or 16.

    Remember, you still have to buy the blow up stock and processing. That means that if you shoot reversal you will have to buy the Interneg and if you are going to cut the film itself you will then need that workprinted along with processing and printer time.

    Another note. I was told that getting a good blow up off of reversal is worse than shooting the neg due to dupe stocks that are still in production.

    Good Luck

  9. #9
    Inactive Member Greg Crawford's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 6th, 2002
    Posts
    603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><table border="0" width="90%" bgcolor="#333333" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="0"><tr><td width="100%"><table border="0" width="100%" cellspacing="0" cellpadding="2" bgcolor="#FF9900"><tr><td width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDD"><font size=2 face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Matt Pacini:As far as I know, they're the only ones that do this.I called them about it a couple years ago.Give them a ring, they'll give you all the info about sound, etc.Pretty pricey! I honestly think it's insane to shoot Super 8, if you're planning on 35mm theatrical screening.Matt Pacini</font></td></tr></table></td></tr></table></BLOCKQUOTE>

    Matt,

    If you check my post , I suggested a 3-1 shooting ratio in 35 mm or 3000 feet of film and development. That is probably way to stingy for anything other than MOS work.
    I would agree with you on that.

    Nigal,

    It seems like it's hard to get the great deals on film and development on 16 mm. Do you have a budget brake down on shooting say 10 min in 16 mm say 6-1? If so could you share your post production info as well?

  10. #10
    Inactive Member woods01's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 1st, 2002
    Posts
    75
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    For this kind of blow up you really have to
    evaluate your budget, your method of distribution
    and the 'look' of your film.

    If you've got the extra money and really want
    a Super 8 look then go for it. However your
    budget is the ruling factor. How vital is the
    S8 look? Are your recreating the JFK footage?

    One advantage with 16 is the faster stocks. If
    money is tight you could use a faster film and
    get away with using photo flood practicals to
    light your interiors. Do you have the money to
    rent a lighting package? And the other as
    mentioned is that it costs less to blow up 16.
    And Super 16 was designed for 35mm blow ups.

    Another factor is how will a S8 image be cropped
    in a blow up?

    Is making a 35mm print what you need for the
    festivals you want? Would they accept video?

    I think an entire S8 film on 35 would look
    cool. You would probably have one of the most
    unique 'looks' of all the other entries. But
    would getting that look sacrifice the money
    needed for lights, sets, costumes, etc.?

    John

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •